Friday 8 January 2010

Excellent 1963 movie clip from 'Ikarie XB 1'

Now here's something I stumbled upon on the interwebnet. It's from a 1963 Czechoslovakian film called 'Ikarie XB 1' (edited to pieces for the western world and called 'Voyage to the End of the Universe') and it's a film I've not encountered before.

What struck me about this clip is the way it's lit and shot. In fact, dodgy 60s special effects and design aside, I'd go as far to say this is one of the best filmed sequences I've seen in a long time.



The shot at 5:58 is particularly gruesome and creeped me out. The whole thing is so well directed and cut it feels like a modern movie has been given the 'cult B-movie' treatment. Of course, I'd have to see the whole movie to fully appreciate it so I'm going to have a go at finding a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment