Friday 12 March 2010

Dragon Warriors Introductory Book

It's probably become apparent to those of you who are mad enough to read my blog regularly that I kind of like Dragon Warriors.

Well, it's true, I do like it a lot. In fact, if you click on the image below you'll be able to download a completely free introductory book which will give you the full character-generation rules, two of the game's seven basic character classes, the combat system, full background on the territory of Ellesland and a short introductory scenario.

I'm just loving the back-to-basics approach of the game as I've been playing crunchy rules systems for years. A nice, simple system coupled with a great setting, that's what I've got here.
Saying that, I've been musing over the idea of a crunchier version of the game, kind of an Advanced Dragon Warriors. Would this suck the fun out of the game or add extra depth? I'm not sure. I do know, however, that I always preferred Basic D&D over AD&D.

3 comments:

  1. I've just realised that the new cover is a less "superheroic" homage to the cover of the original first book. In fact, the helmed skull in the bottom right seems to be the remains of the hero on that original cover. How did I never notice this before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover art is by the excellent Jon Hodgson, who I am currently bigging up on my blog (Thursday Art posting). Check his site out - some neat stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kelvin - You're right, the gargoyle-type thing in the foreground and the image on the wall behind the adventurers on the new book are the same as the original cover, so it looks as thought the hero in the winged helm got trounced and now these guys are investigating the same place. Excellent!

    @ Daddy - John Hodgson is indeed a great artist and his illustrations suit Dragon Warriors down to a tee.

    ReplyDelete