Monday 24 May 2010

Roleplaying During 'Traveller' Character Creation

I've never run a Traveller game before - in fact, last night was the first time I've ever had a character creation session for it.

Andy had decided on a military career and Jason an academic one. There was one great moment when Jason was trying to enroll in the Scholar career and failed - he was a bit peeved about this. He had the Writing skill and Andy's character had Administration and a rank. So, to get into the career, Jason said he'd have his character write a strong letter using his Writing skill to Jason's character, who used his Administration skill to talk to the right people. After a couple of successful rolls Jason's character found himself in the Scholar career.

Brilliant. It was done mainly for fun but the fact that we were able to do this bit of roleplaying during creation was an excellent part of the process. I wish more player character building sessions were like this.

1 comment:

  1. Wish I'd been there for that. I understand that very time you came to NPC my character there was a disconcerting 'squishing' noise being made behind a closed door. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete