Thursday 5 September 2013

Nerd Stuff I Kinda Forgot I Had: Part 2

Ullaaaaahhhh!!
Once you start plying through boxes and cupboards you simply can't stop, and when you find something that makes you shout, 'No fricking way, man!' it just makes you want to keep going.

I listened to Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds' album long before I read the fabulous book, so the songs, themes and sounds echo in my head whenever I read it again or watch any of the movies (original movie good, Tom Cruise movie a great interpretation though has the saccharine Spielberg ending, TV show does not exist in this dojo).

I used to listen to my older brother's LP - it was the late 1970s - and in the LP sleeves was a softback book with the script, lyrics and some amazing art that pretty much defined War of the Worlds for me, and why I will always want my Victorian-era movie.

I don't have the LPs but I managed to get hold of one of the books - I don't remember where or how - and it's a bit dog-eared and crumpled but still in good condition, and the images are just as striking as they always were.

I've got the CDs of the musical, now, both the original and the newer version with new performers, but the original will always be the best. This book takes me back to the heady days of pre-teen wonder and the crazy thoughts and feelings that the artwork sent whirling through my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment